Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Skamania County - July 4, 2017

Skamania County has become of particular interest to me in recent years. It seems to be relatively unexplored by Lepidopterists (except for the area close to the Columbia River), so offers the opportunity for new discoveries, and it is an easy day trip for me. In 2015, I found an Acmon Blue (Icaricia acmon), which turned out to be a new Skamania County record. Since then, I have found several more Acmon Blues in at least two locations. This summer I found another new county record, a Northern Checkerspot (Chlosyne palla). Here are a few photos from my drive on the 4th of July.

Lorquin's Admirals (Limenitis lorquini) on dogbane along Forest Road 68.
There were at least a dozen here but all moving too quick for me to get any sharp images.
Barred or Spotted owl, one of five I saw at different spots along Forest Road 68 on my way to the Grassy Knoll trail head.
Snowberry Checkerspot (Euphydryas colon) female on Globe Gilia.
Snowberry Checkerspot (Euphydryas colon) male (right) harassing a female (left) on Globe Gilia.
Two-tailed Tiger Swallowtail (Papilio multicaudata) on Globe Gilia along Forest Road 68.
Painted Lady (Vanessa cardui) on northern or arrowleaf buckwheat (Eriogonum compositum) at the Grassy Knoll trail head.
Mount Adams, view from the east side of the Indian Heaven Wilderness, southwest of Mount Adams.
Newly-emerged Anna's Blue (Plebejus anna) at Peterson Prairie.

No comments:

Post a Comment